There a several options when it comes to International Calling and Smartphones. Rather than explore all of these options which would take forever, I will simply tell you which option I chose. I will also suggest some other cheap options that are available for international travelers.
My travel Phone: The Samsung Galaxy Core Prime with T- Mobile
Rather investing in an unlocked smartphone, I chose to purchase a smartphone with T-Mobile that had an international calling plan. The T-Mobile Simple Choice Plan provides automatic coverage in 140+ countries and destinations. Only at T-Mobile. Unlimited international data coverage and texting are included with a qualifying Simple Choice Plan at no extra charge. It’s just 20 cents per minute for calls to mobile devices and landlines.
1. Free Wifi Calling Apps
If you decided not to get sign up for an international calling plan, you can opt to use free online messaging apps like the ones below. remember that they must be used over a wifi connection:
WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.
Facebook Messenger is an instant messaging service and software application which provides text and voice communication. Facebook Messenger allows users to contact,text,send pictures and videos to other users for free provided they are on a wifi network or a data paln.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group.
• Send and receive both Hangouts and text messages (SMS/MMS) and switch easily between message types.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 150 people.
• Say more with photos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across Android, iOS, and the web, and sync chats across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they’re offline.
Notes: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged. V
Skype is an application that provides video chat and voice call services. Users may exchange such digital documents as images, text, video and any others, and may transmit both text and video messages. Skype allows the creation of video conference calls. Skype is available for Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, or Linux, as well asAndroid, Blackberry, and both Apple and Windows smartphones and tablets. Much of the service is free, but Skype Credit or a subscription is required to call a landline or a mobile phone number.
2. International Cell Phones and Sim Cards
Mobal is a UK based company that offers various solutions for almost any budget when it comes to international calling. Simply visit the Mobal Website an see if they have an option that works for you.